Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence (MCAE)
Multicultural Civic Engagement Program
What is the Multicultural Civic Engagement Program?
The Civic Engagement Program is a retention initiative to promote and encourage community involvement and academic excellence for multicultural students. The Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence (MCAE) has selected and coordinated culturally specific volunteer sites for student's participation. The Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence provides a scholarship for program participants after they have taken part in a civic engagement project that MCAE has designated.
Who is eligible?
Any undergraduate student (Freshman through Senior) who meets the following criteria:
- Register and maintain full time student status
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Maintain a 2.50 GPA or higher each semester
- Register with MCAE
- Must have unmet financial need
If selected, what are student responsibilities?
- Complete all classes as a full time student each semester
- Maintain a 2.50 GPA or higher
- Make at least TWO academic appointments with MCAE site supervisor
- Complete a service project
- Complete tests and surveys designed to assess academic retention
- Complete a MCAE training and if applicable a site specific training
What are the benefits?
- Students will build leadership skills
- Students will receive a scholarship to apply toward their unmet financial need
- Students will connect and give to their community and will be more civically minded
- Students are encouraged to make greater use of support services
- Free tutorial services
- Students will have fun and meet new people
- Students will gain marketable skills that will aid in employment and entrance into graduate and professional schools
- Receive free tickets to cultural events
How do I apply?
Contact the Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence at:
185 Klaeber Ct
320-16 th Avenue SE
125 Fraser Hall
320-16 th Avenue SE
106 Pleasant Street